Can I move my site with NO downtime?
Posted by Laura Schindler, Last modified by Laura Schindler on 18 November 2009 11:17 AM
Yes, we can move your site with no downtime as long as you have control over your domain name, and more specifically, the name servers on your domain name. Here's our typical site transfer process:|
1) Place your hosting order on-line.
We will also need you to submit any relevant username and password information via this page:
Examples of things we will need submitted via that link include the username and password to copy your existing site via FTP, or SSH, a temporary admin login to a Miva Merchant store if you have one, a username and password for your domain registrar if you'd like us to update your name servers, MySQL usernames and passwords, etc.
2) We'll copy your current site to one of our servers and ensure it works provided it is a standard HTML site and/or Miva Merchant store site. We'll need your current account information to do this. We'll also need a temporary Miva Merchant login account with admin rights if you are moving a store. That information is what we need to take care of the store transfer and make sure it packs and functions okay.
3) Once your site is copied over, we'll ensure everything that we support works correctly. At this point, you should not make any changes to the web site except for processing orders as they come in if you operate an ecommerce site.
4) You will need to set your domain to use our name servers AFTER we give you the word that it is safe to do so:
Depending on the registrar, we are sometimes able to help with this procedure with you only needing to confirm the changes with an email.
Our name servers will be configured to serve your domain's current information so by making the change above, there won't be any change in your hosting yet, it is in preparation for the change. Within 48 hours when the name services have completely moved to us, everyone will be receiving information from our name servers with expiration times of just a few minutes. This means that when we are finally ready to move the site, we just change the DNS on our side and a few minutes later all the traffic has moved to us instead of the old host.
5) We will work with you to help you view and ensure that your site is fully functional on our servers and is working as expected. We ask that you be thorough in your testing since this is before the site goes live and is the best time to check everything out.
We can help you get your personal computer set up to access your site from us during the testing, independent of your live website with your old provider.
6) Once you approve, we will make the changeover and all new traffic will begin receiving service from us. There should be at most 300 seconds during which traffic could possibly go to the old server. 100% of NEW visitors will hit the new site instantly. You may see a small percentage of visitors who have accessed your site previously continue to get the old hosting provider until you have them shut your old site down, then those people will switch over as well.