Lighter NTFD page
Posted by , Last modified by on 03 August 2016 01:50 PM
Disclaimer: This will work for stores on Miva Version 9.0006 or newer. Note that this will require making template changes. Make sure you make sure you are aware of what version was active before any changes are made. These edits are low-risk but if you feel uncomfortable with making these changes then we advise you to seek help from a developer.
Objective: Reduce the chance of a server overload with a lighter Not Found Page
1) The default "file not found" page is the NTFD page template.
Customize it as needed to reach the point where the front-end content looks the way you want customers to see when a 404 occurs if it was a legitimate click to missing content.
For example sake I used the default NTFD page without any changes made.You can access this page using http://domain.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=NTFD (adjust domain and path to Merchant as needed). Attached is the default source code for the NTFD page.
Right Click and View Page Source
Copy source code.
2) Replace the current NTFD page template code with the source code from the original NTFD page.
4) Un-assign all items from page except the HTTP Headers item.
5) Check for the presence of any session id’s in links; they shouldn’t be there if this was a modern install of Merchant, but may be present if the copy of Merchant began as a much older version.
6) Set the page to serve a status code 404 on the HTTP Headers tab.
7) Adjust the store to use the new NTFD for 404’s (This is a new feature in 9.6 and I don’t know where it lives).